The Planner, Parks & Recreation performs work related to the planning and development of the City’s parks, trails and recreation services and facilities:
- Conduct policy research and analysis to support the evaluation and preparation of planning policies for parks and community facilities.
- Provide research and policy support to parks and community planners undertaking reviews of planning studies and associated secondary plans.
- Research current and projected parks and community facility needs for local area plans and make recommendations for meeting those needs including implementation strategies.
- Prepare reports and make recommendations for parks and recreation facilities at a city wide and community scale.
- Identify and develop plans, implementation strategies and guidelines related to the planning and development of parks, recreation and open space, such as, property acquisition, protection and enhancement of natural heritage, trails, landscape character, recreation facilities, etc., relating to city-wide and community needs.
- Prepare and implement work programs for the completion of planning assignments, related to divisional policies and guidelines, public consultation, background studies, technical studies, approval processes, etc.
- Maintain appropriate records and ensure follow up on action items and deliverables.
- Coordinate or participate in consultation and liaison activities with community groups, interest groups and other stakeholders, related to parks and recreation services and facilities, as may be necessary.
- Coordinate divisional review and input on relevant planning matters based on applicable legislation and corporate policies and practices, including review of draft Official Plan amendments, Secondary Plans, Precinct Plans and Site and Area Specific policies, etc.
- Maintain databases and inventories related to Parks and Recreation planning functions at the citywide scale.
- Contribute to the development of Corporate and statutory plans and processes, including long term Parks and Recreation needs and capital requirements.
- Coordinate or support other staff at public meetings and events to represent the division to provide or obtain information on Parks, Forestry and Recreation planning matters. May be required to attend or represent the division at City Council, Community Councils and Standing Committees.
- Prepare requests for proposals and terms of references, for outside services relevant to Parks, Forestry and Recreation planning. Coordinate and monitor work in progress by outside suppliers, ensuring that all work fulfills established requirement.
- Prepare reports, correspondence and other relevant communications as part of the planning and development program and for senior management and Council, as required.
- May be required to prepare materials or act as a witness at Ontario Municipal Board hearings or other proceedings.
Your application must describe your qualifications as they relate to:
- Post-secondary degree or diploma from university or college in planning, environmental studies, recreation or a related discipline, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Membership or eligibility for membership in the Canadian Institute of Planners and the Ontario Professional Planners Institute.
- Considerable experience with park and open space planning, recreation planning, land use planning, urban design and development concepts and how planning policies can be used to shape the delivery of future parks and recreation facilities.
- Considerable experience with planning methodologies and processes including report writing, data collection, analysis and presentation, including appropriate computer applications, e.g. GIS and databases.
- Considerable experience in public consultation and experience acting as an effective liaison between stakeholders (e.g. internal and external client groups) in planning for parks and recreation services.
- Possession of a valid Ontario Class “G” Driver’s License and use of a personal vehicle for site visits.
You must also have:
- Ability to understand, convey and use scientific and technical information in Parks, Forestry and Recreation planning processes and initiatives.
- Ability to anticipate and resolve issues related to parks and recreation planning.
- Understanding of relevant legislation and policy requirements related to park and recreation planning and development.
- Ability to meet critical time lines for processing pertinent work assignments and/or applications and approvals.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, at a professional level with senior management, consultants, and staff from other divisions, other agencies, and the public.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Familiarity with government legislation in the area of occupational health and safety.
Please note that all applicants are encouraged to provide a valid email address for communication purposes. Applicants may receive written correspondence regarding this job posting directly to the email address provided on their resume or to the one used to set-up their Candidate Profile if applying on TalentFlow. As an applicant, it is your responsibility to ensure that you check your email regularly.
The City of Toronto is committed to fostering a positive and progressive workforce that is representative of the citizens we serve. We will provide equitable treatment and accommodation to ensure barrier-free employment. In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the City of Toronto’s Accommodation Policy, a request for accommodation will be accepted as part of the City’s hiring process.
If you are invited to participate in an assessment process, kindly provide your accommodation needs in advance. Please be advised that you may be requested to provide medical/other documentation to Human Resources to ensure that appropriate accommodation is provided to you throughout the hiring process.
If you are an individual with a disability and you need assistance or an accommodation during the application process, please email us at email@example.com, quoting the job ID #2268640 and the job classification title.